Yes We Can
A Biography of President Barack Obama
THIS IS OUR MOMENT
"This is our time--to put people back to work and open doors of opportunity for our kids; to restore prosperity and promote the cause of peace; to reclaim the American dream and reaffirm that fundamental truth--that out of many, we are one; that while we breathe, we hope; and where we are met with cynicism and doubt, and those who tell us that we can't, we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of a people: Yes, we can."
-- President Barack Obama, Acceptance Speech; Chicago, IL; November 4, 2008
Born in the U.S.A., the son of an African father and an American mother, a boy who spent his childhood in Indonesia and Hawaii, Barack Obama is truly a citizen of the world. In kindergarten, he wrote an essay titled, "I Want to Become President," and now, with his fierce optimism, exuberant sense of purpose and determination, and above all, his belief that change can happen, Barack Obama, the first African-American president of the United States, has made that dream come true.
Garen Thomas takes us through the life of Barack Obama, from his struggle to fit in with his classmates, and concern about not knowing his biological father, through his term as an Illinois senator, and the long campaign for president, to his historic victory.
224 pages; ISBN 9781429943321
Title: Yes We Can
Author: Garen Thomas
- Academic > History > United States > Twenty-first century
- Academic > History > America > Indians of North America
- Juvenile Nonfiction > Biography & Autobiography > Political
- History > United States > Colonial Period (1600-1775)
- History > United States > Civil War Period (1850-1877)
- History > United States > 20th Century
- History > Military > Vietnam War
- Biography & Autobiography > Political
- Political Science > Leadership
- History > Americas (North, Central, South, West Indies)