Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

The first ten lies they tell you in high school.

"Speak up for yourself--we want to know what you have to say." From the first moment of her freshman year at Merryweather High, Melinda knows this is a big fat lie, part of the nonsense of high school. She is friendless, outcast, because she busted an end-of-summer party by calling the cops, so now nobody will talk to her, let alone listen to her. As time passes, she becomes increasingly isolated and practically stops talking altogether. Only her art class offers any solace, and it is through her work on an art project that she is finally able to face what really happened at that terrible party: she was raped by an upperclassman, a guy who still attends Merryweather and is still a threat to her. Her healing process has just begun when she has another violent encounter with him. But this time Melinda fights back, refuses to be silent, and thereby achieves a measure of vindication. In Laurie Halse Anderson's powerful novel, an utterly believable heroine with a bitterly ironic voice delivers a blow to the hypocritical world of high school. She speaks for many a disenfranchised teenager while demonstrating the importance of speaking up for oneself.

Speak was a 1999 National Book Award Finalist for Young People's Literature.

Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR); May 2011
Download in secure EPUB
Title: Speak
Author: Laurie Halse Anderson

'Speak' turns 15: Author Laurie Halse Anderson on the book's life and legacy - Entertainment Weekly (blog)
Wed, 02 Apr 2014 07:46:05 -0700
Entertainment Weekly (blog)'Speak' turns 15: Author Laurie Halse Anderson on the book's life and ...
'Speak' focus of book talks for Sexual Assault Awareness Month - The State
Mon, 28 Mar 2016 13:17:41 -0700
The State'Speak' focus of book talks for Sexual Assault Awareness MonthThe StateRichland County Councilwoman Julie-Ann ...
Laurie Halse Anderson's 'Speak', an Excerpt - PopMatters
Thu, 28 Oct 2010 07:50:48 -0700
PopMattersLaurie Halse Anderson's 'Speak', an ExcerptPopMattersBanned Books Week may be over, but book banning is ...
More Children's
9780312674397
9781429997041