Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

The first ten lies they tell you in high school.

"Speak up for yourself--we want to know what you have to say." From the first moment of her freshman year at Merryweather High, Melinda knows this is a big fat lie, part of the nonsense of high school. She is friendless, outcast, because she busted an end-of-summer party by calling the cops, so now nobody will talk to her, let alone listen to her. As time passes, she becomes increasingly isolated and practically stops talking altogether. Only her art class offers any solace, and it is through her work on an art project that she is finally able to face what really happened at that terrible party: she was raped by an upperclassman, a guy who still attends Merryweather and is still a threat to her. Her healing process has just begun when she has another violent encounter with him. But this time Melinda fights back, refuses to be silent, and thereby achieves a measure of vindication. In Laurie Halse Anderson's powerful novel, an utterly believable heroine with a bitterly ironic voice delivers a blow to the hypocritical world of high school. She speaks for many a disenfranchised teenager while demonstrating the importance of speaking up for oneself.

Speak was a 1999 National Book Award Finalist for Young People's Literature.

Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR); May 2011
Read online, or download in secure EPUB
Title: Speak
Author: Laurie Halse Anderson

'Speak' focus of book talks for Sexual Assault Awareness Month - The State
Mon, 28 Mar 2016 13:17:41 -0700
The State'Speak' focus of book talks for Sexual Assault Awareness MonthThe StateRichland County Councilwoman Julie-Ann ...
11 Books That Will Remind You How Strong You Are - Romper
Thu, 30 Jun 2016 11:57:00 -0700
Romper11 Books That Will Remind You How Strong You AreRomperIt's difficult to go through every day feeling your best. ...
Laurie Halse Anderson on 'Speak,' Censorship, and 'The Impossible Knife of Memory' - Bustle
Mon, 06 Jan 2014 10:55:20 -0800
BustleLaurie Halse Anderson on 'Speak,' Censorship, and 'The Impossible Knife of Memory'BustleShortly after the ...
9780374371524
9781429997041