The Positive Psychology of Personal Transformation
Leveraging Resilience for Life Change
Given the current climate of economic and environmental uncertainty, it is all too easy for individuals to feel hopeless about their lives and indifferent to the problems of others. But according to leading psychologist, James Garbarino, this is the peak time for people to enhance their optimism, empathy, and emotional responsiveness. In his important new book, The Positive Psychology of Personal Transformation, Dr. Garbarino reveals the social basis for moral development in adversity, and the mental and physical benefits of psychological and spiritual growth.
Drawing widely on his years as a healing professional and own experience of personal crisis as well as on decades of resilience and happiness literature, the author traces the evolution of the moral sense that affects all human relationships, including the one with the Earth itself. In these compelling pages, Dr. Garbarino:
- Examines how humans’ deep bonds with dogs can model positive human relationships.
- Compares the risks and benefits of the “oblivious” versus the self-aware life.
- Analyzes the role of trauma in heightening our sense of the meaning of life and defines the experience of transformational grace in adversity.
- Explains current manifestations of narcissism and the need for “the positive death of the self.”
- Asserts that every person is capable of “living an ‘extraordinary’ life.”
A book with vast significance across the healing disciplines, The Positive Psychology of Personal Transformation should be read, savored, and practiced by researchers, practitioners, and scientists in clinical child, school, and developmental psychology; social work; educational and community psychology; sociology; and public health.
134 pages; ISBN 9781441977441
, or download in
Title: The Positive Psychology of Personal Transformation
Author: James Garbarino
More Social Science
- Academic > Sociology > Social history and conditions. Social problems. Social reform
- Academic > Psychology > Consciousness. Cognition
- Academic > Psychology > Will. Volition. Choice. Control
- Academic > Psychology > Occult sciences
- Academic > Philosophy > Philosophical logic
- Psychology & Psychiatry > Psychotherapy > Group
- Medicine > Public Health
- Psychology & Psychiatry > Social Psychology
- Science > Environmental Science
- Social Science > Sociology
- Social Science > Research
- Social Science > Social Issues