Handbook of the Medical Consequences of Alcohol and Drug Abuse
(If any tax is payable it will be calculated and shown at checkout.)
Print & copy permissions
The essential newly-expanded reference that needs to be on the desk of every health care professional who encounters substance abusers.
Handbook of the Medical Consequences of Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Second Edition is the newly-updated classic reference text that provides even more detailed and expanded information on the pharmacological, toxicological, and neuropsychological consequences of alcohol and drug abuse. Eight new chapters of crucial information have been added. Written by leading experts in the fields of medical physiology, psychopharmacology, and neuropsychology, this valuable resource provides the detailed alcohol and drug information health professionals in all fields need to know.
Handbook of the Medical Consequences of Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Second Edition greatly expands on the expert information provided in the first edition. This text provides reviews of the cardiovascular, neurological, pulmonary, gastrointestinal, psychological, and hepatic effects of commonly abused drugs. The book also provides in-depth explanations of the mechanisms by which these psychoactive drugs exert their biobehavioral effects as well as current thinking about—and definitions of—abuse, dependence, and alcohol/drug use.
The Handbook of the Medical Consequences of Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Second Edition includes vital information on:
New topics in the Handbook of the Medical Consequences of Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Second Edition include chapters discussing:
- alcohol, including definitions of alcohol use, abuse, and dependence
- the relationship between alcohol and accidental injuries, alcohol’s effect on skeletal and major organ systems, and its effect on risk factors for certain cancers
- effects of alcohol and other drugs on neuropsychological function
- the effects of alcohol on neuron signaling, neurotransmitter function, and alcoholic brain damage and cognitive dysfunction
- fetal alcohol effects
- chronic effects of marijuana use on psychological and physical health, including a fair and balanced discussion of the medical marijuana issue
- the consequences of opiate abuse and methadone pharmacotherapy, including a comparison of the effects of methadone and heroin on organ systems
- cocaine’s history, the various forms of the drug, and the adverse effects of cocaine on cardiovascular, neurologic, and pulmonary systems
- the medical consequences of inhalants ranging from benzene to xylene
- the prenatal effects of nicotine, cocaine, marijuana, and opiates
- terminology that appears in the current literature on alcohol
The Handbook of the Medical Consequences of Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Second Edition is an invaluable resource for physicians, scientists, nurses, psychologists, and alcohol and drug counselors.
- chemical dependency in psychiatric patients
- medical consequences of steroids
- OTC medications
- health effects of tobacco, nicotine, and exposure to tobacco smoke
- interactions of alcohol with other drugs and other medications
- periodontal effects of alcohol and drug abuse in the oral cavity
- imaging studies of structural brain changes
Taylor and Francis
; April 2012
638 pages; ISBN 9781136864575Read online
, or download in secure EPUB
or secure PDF format
Title: Handbook of the Medical Consequences of Alcohol and Drug Abuse
Author: John Brick
Buy, download and read Handbook of the Medical Consequences of Alcohol and Drug Abuse (eBook) by John Brick today!