The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader ...
The Adult Learner
"A great update of a classic. Should be required reading for anyone involved with adult
learning in schools, businesses and communities."
Sam Stern, Professor & Dean, School of Education, Oregon State University, USA
How do you tailor education to the learning needs of adults? Do they learn differently from children? How does their life experience inform their learning processes?
These were the questions at the heart of Malcolm Knowles’ pioneering theory of andragogy which transformed education theory in the 1970s. The resulting principles of a self-directed, experiential, problem-centred approach to learning have been hugely infl uential and are still the basis of the learning practices we use today. Understanding these principles is the cornerstone of increasing motivation and enabling adult learners to achieve.
This update of a pioneering classic contains all Knowles’ original chapters alongside a newer second part by Elwood "Ed" Holton and Richard A Swanson charting the advancements on these core principles. A third section includes selected readings from previous editions to illustrate the theory’s evolution, as well as important articles from other key experts around the world for a comprehensive view.
This new edition includes:
• New chapter outlines, learning objectives and careful edits of Malcolm Knowles’ work to simplify the original theory
• Updates to the second part to refl ect the very latest advancements in the field
• Revisions throughout to make it more readable and relevant to your practices.
If you are a specialist or student in education, an adult learning practitioner, training manager, or involved in human resource development, this is the definitive book in adult learning you shouldn’t be without.
416 pages; ISBN 9781136346132
, or download in or
More from this author
- Academic > Education > Special aspects of education > Moral and religious education > Religion and education. Education under church control > Christian education. Church education
- Academic > Education > Special aspects of education > Forms of education > Private school education
- Academic > Education > Special aspects of education > Education extension. Adult education. Continuing education
- Psychology & Psychiatry > Developmental
- Education > Adult & Continuing Education
- Education > Educational Psychology
- Business > Labor
- Business > Human Resources & Personnel Management
- Business > Management
- Business > Information Management