Teaching Statistics

A Bag of Tricks

Teaching Statistics by Andrew Gelman
Students in the sciences, economics, psychology, social sciences, and medicine take introductory statistics. Statistics is increasingly offered at the high school level as well. However, statistics can be notoriously difficult to teach as it is seen by many students as difficult and boring, if not irrelevant to their subject of choice. To help dispel these misconceptions, Gelman and Nolan have put together this fascinating and thought-provoking book. Based on years of teachingexperience the book provides a wealth of demonstrations, examples and projects that involve active student participation.Part I of the book presents a large selection of activities for introductory statistics courses and combines chapters such as, 'First week of class', with exercises to break the ice and get students talking; then 'Descriptive statistics' , collecting and displaying data; then follows the traditional topics - linear regression, data collection, probability and inference. Part II gives tips on what does and what doesn't work in class: how to set up effective demonstrations and examples, how toencourage students to participate in class and work effectively in group projects. A sample course plan is provided. Part III presents material for more advanced courses on topics such as decision theory, Bayesian statistics and sampling.
Oxford University Press; August 2002
Title: Teaching Statistics
Author: Andrew Gelman; Deborah Nolan

Buy, download and read Teaching Statistics (eBook) by Andrew Gelman; Deborah Nolan today!