The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader ...
Backpacks Full of Hope
The UN Mission in Haiti
Backpacks Full of Hope: The UN Mission in Haiti describes the experience of a Chilean general as Deputy Force Commander of the United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH) during the particularly turbulent year September 2005 to September 2006. It details the realities of commanding more than 7,000 men from eleven countries while working to fulfill the mandate of the United Nations in Haiti?to ensure a secure and stable environment, to support the transitional government in a democratic political process, and to promote and protect the human rights of the Haitian people.
Despite the enormous challenges of a complex scenario that included local violence and extreme poverty, the UN command succeeded in its mission, stabilizing the local situation and paving the way for Haiti to hold a presidential election.
Originally published as Mision en Haiti, con la mochila cargada de esperanzas, this work provides a new audience with insight on the peace operation and sheds light on the long-term endeavour of civilians, military, and local and international agencies to support Haiti's path to prosperity.
Co-published with the Centre for International Governance Innovation
253 pages; ISBN 9781554581603
, or download in
- Academic > History > Latin America. Spanish America > West Indies > Greater Antilles > Haiti (Island). Hispaniola > Haiti (Republic)
- Academic > History > United States local history > Atlantic coast. Middle Atlantic States > District of Columbia. Washington
- Academic > History > United States local history > New England > Maine
- Biography & Autobiography > Military
- History > Caribbean & West Indies
- History > Military