The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, BlackBerry ...
The SAGE Handbook of Geographical Knowledge
- Victoria Lawson, University of Washington
"A Handbook that recasts geograph's history in original, thought-provoking ways. Eschewing the usual chronological march through leading figures and big ideas, it looks at geography against the backdrop of the places and institutional contexts where it has been produced, and the social-cum-intellectual currents underlying some of its most important concepts."
- Alexander B. Murphy, University of Oregon
The SAGE Handbook of Geographical Knowledge is a critical inquiry into how geography as a field of knowledge has been produced, re-produced, and re-imagined.
It comprises three sections on geographical orientations, geography's venues, and critical geographical concepts and controversies. The first provides an overview of the genealogy of "geography". The second highlights the types of spatial settings and locations in which geographical knowledge has been produced. The third focuses on venues of primary importance in the historical geography of geographical thought.
- Orientations includes chapters on: Geography - the Genealogy of a Term; Geography's Narratives and Intellectual History
- Geography's Venues includes chapters on: Field; Laboratory; Observatory; Archive; Centre of Calculation; Mission Station; Battlefield; Museum; Public Sphere; Subaltern Space; Financial Space; Art Studio; Botanical/Zoological Gardens; Learned Societies
- Critical concepts and controversies - includes chapters on: Environmental Determinism; Region; Place; Nature and Culture; Development; Conservation; Geopolitics; Landscape; Time; Cycle of Erosion; Time; Gender; Race/Ethnicity; Social Class; Spatial Analysis; Glaciation; Ice Ages; Map; Climate Change; Urban/Rural.
Comprehensive without claiming to be encyclopedic, textured and nuanced, this Handbook will be a key resource for all researchers with an interest in the pasts, presents and futures of geography.
657 pages; ISBN 9781446209547
, or download in
Title: The SAGE Handbook of Geographical Knowledge
Author: John Agnew; David N Livingstone
The Hot Zone 2012 US$ 7.99 448 pages
Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation 2014 US$ 12.99 320 pages