The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader ...
Take Control of Your Wi-Fi Security
Learn how to keep intruders out of your wireless network and protect your sensitive communications!
It's ten o'clock—do you know who's using your wireless network? If you haven't changed the default network name or admin password someone could be eavesdropping on your email, plucking your passwords out of the air, or sending spam through your Internet connection right now! When you're using a wireless network—whether a Macintosh with AirPort gear or Windows with any Wi-Fi equipment—you're exposed to risk unless you take steps.
Wireless networking experts Glenn Fleishman and Adam Engst have spent years researching and covering wireless security issues on Glenn's Wi-Fi Networking News blog and in two editions of The Wireless Networking Starter Kit. Now they've distilled that experience into this essential guide for anyone using a computer with wireless networks, whether at home, at work, or on the road. You'll learn how to evaluate your real security risks; the best way to restrict access to your network using WPA and WPS; how to secure your data in transit with PGP, SSL, SSH, and VPNs; and how to protect your computers from viruses and attacks. The book provides extra advice on how to secure small-office wireless network, including details on choosing VPN hardware and software and on setting up 802.1X for secure Wi-Fi logins.
"The authors, two guys with enormous geek credibility, take the confusing tangle of Wi-Fi security issues and break it down for you in plain language. The book is a marvel of excellent technical writing for a general audience."
—Barry Campbell on Blogcritics.org
Read this book to learn the answers to questions like:
- Should I worry about someone eavesdropping on my home wireless network?
- What three security measures should I take immediately to lock down my wireless gateway?
- What common security measures aren't worthwhile?
- Why is WEP not worth bothering with, and what should I use instead?
- How do I set up guest networking on the 2009 dual-band AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule models?
- How do I set up WPS on Apple and non-Apple gear?
- What does it mean if I see green shading in my browser's URL field?
- Do I need a VPN to protect my sensitive work communications?
- What is sidejacking, and what should I do about it?
- Can I control access to my wireless network by user name and password?
- What software can I use for secure email and file transfer?
- How does public-key encryption work?
- Our office has only 15 people—can we afford the best Wi-Fi security?
, or download in
More from this author
The Extreme Searcher's Internet Handbook 2013 US$ 19.99 345 pages
The New Digital Age 2013 US$ 11.99 336 pages
Steve Jobs 2011 US$ 14.57 448 pages
Successful Business Intelligence: Unlock the Value of BI & Big Data, Second Edition 2013 US$ 40.00 337 pages