Ethics, Aging, and Society

The Critical Turn

Ethics, Aging, and Society by Martha B. Holstein

"Ethics, Aging and Society...is the first major work in ten years to critically address issues and methodologies in aging and ethics...This well-organized volume begins theoretically and offers new ways of thinking about ethics that can handle the complexities and realities of aging in particular social contexts."

--Choice

"[T]he authors' application of feminist ethics to frail elders rings true to both my clinical experience working with frail elders, and my research experience trying to understand their quality of life concerns...there were true gems of ideas [in this book] that illuminated the limitations of the dominant paradigm of autonomy in bioethics. [The authors] make a compelling critique of end-of-life care."

--GeriPal: A Geriatrics and Palliative Care Blog

This book presents second generation issues in ethics, aging, and society by presenting critical outcomes that arise when ethics is applied to the practical concerns that occur in day-to-day elder care. The first volume in over 10 years to address ethics and gerontology, it is unparalleled in its comprehensiveness and integration of well-developed philosophical arguments with empirical research, humanistic scholarship, and insights gained from practical experience.

This book challenges the tried and true approaches of and addressing ethical issues in aging and opens avenues for creative problem-solving. The authors' diverse backgrounds bring the advantages of both interdisciplinary scholarship and practical experience to this comprehensive textbook. It is an essential resource for those interested in, and working with, older people, from upper-level undergraduate students and graduate-division students, to gerontology practitioners in training.

Key features:

• Presents the first major work in over 10 years to integrate the disciplines of ethics and aging
  • Includes case studies derived from day-to-day practice
  • Addresses individual/clinical ethics in health and long-term care and ethical issues raised by public policy, cultural norms and social attitudes
  • Examines such critical issues as Alzheimer's disease, long-term care, ageism, public policy, anti-aging medicine, elder abuse, and natural disasters
  • Explores new directions in ethical and social philosophy as they pertain to gerontology and care
;

--Choice

Key features:

;Chapter One: Ethical Theory and the Emergence of Applied Ethics
Chapter Two: The "Critical Turn": Ethics as a Critical Practice
Chapter Three: "Doing" Applied, Normative Ethics
Chapter Four: The Body and Appearance as a Normative Issue
Chapter Five: Social Ethics and Aging
Chapter Six: Anti-Aging Medicine
Chapter Seven: Ethics, Aging, and Public Policy
Chapter Eight: Care and Justice: Community-Based Long-Term Care
Chapter Nine: The Nursing Home: Beyond Medicalization
Chapter Ten: Working with Clients and Patients
Chapter Eleven: Addressing the Vulnerable: Abuse, Neglect, and Self Neglect
Chapter Twelve: Ethics and Alzheimer's Disease
Chapter Thirteen: Ethics and the End of Life
Chapter Fourteen: Facing Natural and Other Disasters
Chapter Fifteen: Bringing it All Together

Springer Publishing Company; November 2010
Title: Ethics, Aging, and Society
Author: Martha B. Holstein; Jennifer Parks; Mark Waymack

Buy, download and read Ethics, Aging, and Society (eBook) by Martha B. Holstein; Jennifer Parks; Mark Waymack today!
Subject categories
0826116353
9780826116345
9780826116352