Transforming Primary Mathematics
‘Lively and thought provoking…at a key time in the development of primary mathematics teaching and learning. It offers a very much richer model of mathematics learning than is available to many young learners and has the potential to have a real impact on the way mathematics is taught.’ - Jan Winter, Bristol University, UK
What is good mathematics teaching? What is mathematics teaching good for? Who is mathematics teaching for?
Under-pinned by findings from the largest research programme into primary mathematics funded in recent years, Transforming Primary Mathematics offers a clear, practical approach to implementing fundamental change in curriculum, classroom environment and teaching styles. It offers an inspiring, sometimes controversial, and often unconventional look at the subject of mathematics, by:
- Endorsing the use of a ‘new mathematics’ – one based on problem solving, modelling and inquiry, not on abstract rules, memorising, and regurgitation
- Arguing that there is more to maths teaching than ‘death by a thousand worksheets’
- Challenging norms, such as the practice of sorting children into sets based on their perceived mathematical ability
- Advocating an environment where teachers are encouraged to take risks
- Looking at how best to prepare learners for an unknown future
- Encouraging reflection on teachers’ own beliefs and values about mathematics.
Transforming Primary Mathematics is for all primary school teachers who want to make mathematics welcoming, engaging, inclusive and successful.
Title: Transforming Primary Mathematics
Author: Mike Askew
- Academic > Mathematics > Elementary mathematics > Arithmetic; Study and teaching
- Academic > Mathematics > Elementary mathematics > Mathematics; Study and teaching (Elementary)
- Academic > Mathematics > General > Vinogradov, Ivan Matveevich, 1891-
- Academic > Mathematics > General > Mathematics; Periodicals
- Academic > Mathematics > General > Mathematics; Study and teaching; United States
- Juvenile Nonfiction > Mathematics > Arithmetic
- Education > Elementary
- Education > Teaching Methods & Materials