Total Participation Techniques

Making Every Student an Active Learner

Total Participation Techniques by Pérsida Himmele
Providing easy-to-use alternatives to the “stand and deliver” approach to teaching that causes so many students to tune out--or even drop out--Total Participation Techniques presents dozens of ways to engage K–12 students in active learning and allow them to demonstrate the depth of their knowledge and understanding. The authors, Pérsida Himmele and William Himmele, explain both the why and the how of Total Participation Techniques (TPTs) as they explore the high cost of student disengagement, place TPTs in the context of higher-order thinking and formative assessments, and demonstrate how to create a “TPT-conducive classroom.” Readers will learn how to implement field-tested techniques they can use on the spot (e.g., Quick-Draws, Quick-Writes, Chalkboard Splash); with Hold-Up cards (e.g., True/Not True, Selected Response); with movement (e.g., Bounce Cards, Line-Ups, Simulations); and to guide note-taking and concept analysis (e.g., Picture Notes, 3-Sentence Wrap-Up, Debate Team Carousel). Each TPT is presented in four parts:* A descriptive overview * How It Works--step-by-step instructions for implementation* How to Ensure Higher-Order Thinking--ideas for advancing students beyond surface-level thinking* Pause to Apply--suggestions for how to adapt and personalize the technique for specific contexts and content areasFilled with examples from real classrooms, Total Participation Techniques is an essential toolkit for teachers at all levels and for administrators who want a model for analyzing lessons to ensure that they are relevant, engaging, and cognitively challenging.
ASCD; July 2011
Title: Total Participation Techniques
Author: Pérsida Himmele; William Himmele

Buy, download and read Total Participation Techniques (eBook) by Pérsida Himmele; William Himmele today!