"A very clear and engaging introduction to a contemporary analysis of 'race' and racism(s). This text effectively combines key theoretical perspectives with vivid contemporary examples."
- Dr Rebecca Barnes, University of Derby
"Fantastic book for helping students get past the stuntedness of the term 'racism' to understand the way in which racisms are part of our social practices and institutions.
- Dr Lucy Michael, Hull University
"This is a solid text, covering the topic in a thoughtful manner. Studying and teaching racism is a complex issue, and this book is a very good resource."
- Dr Sanjay Sharma, Brunel University
We hear much about 'race' and 'racism' in public discourse but the terms are frequently used without clear definitions or practical examples of how these phenomena work. Racisms: An Introduction introduces practical methods which enable students to think coherently and sociologically about this complex feature of the global landscape.
Steve Garner argues that there is no single monolithic object of analysis but rather a plural set of ideas and practices that result in the introduction of 'race' into social relations. This differs over time and from one place to another. Focussing on the basics, this book:
- Defines 'race', 'racism', 'institutional racism' and 'racialization'.
- Provides examples of how these function in fields like the natural sciences and asylum.
- Clearly sets out theoretical arguments around collective identities ('race', class, gender, nation, religion).
- Uses empirical case studies, including some drawn from the author's own fieldwork.
- Points students toward sources of further web and text based information.
Engaging and accessible this book provides a signposted route into key elements of contemporary debates. It is an ideal introduction for undergraduates studying 'race' and ethnicity, social divisions and stratification.
216 pages; ISBN 9781446244630
, or download in or
Author: Steve Garner
More Social Science
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down 1998 US$ 9.99 339 pages
The Corner 2013 US$ 12.99 576 pages