for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader ...

Geography

History and Concepts

Geography
Now in a fourth edition, this standard student reference has been totally revised and updated. It remains the definitive introduction to the history, philosophy, and methodology of human geography; now including a detailed explanation of key ideas in human geography's post-modernist and post-structuralist 'turns'. The book is organized into six sections:

What is Geography?: an introduction to the discipline, and a discussion of its organization and basic research approaches, informed by the question 'what difference does it make to think geographically?'

Foundations of Geography: an examination of geography from Antiquity to the 1950s, with a special focus on human?environment relations

Geography 1950-1980: a critical review of the development of geography as a spatial science

Paradigms and Revolutions: an analysis of paradigm shifts in geography, that introduces students to key debates in the philosophy of science

Positivism and its Critics: a detailed discussion of positivism, critical theory, humanistic geography, behavioural geography, and structuralism

New Trends and Ideas developing critical responses: structuration theory, realism, post-structuralism, post-modernism, feminism and actor-network theory. It also explores new research tools, such as satellite photos and GIS, and discusses future prospects for geographic research.

This text explores complex ideas in an intelligible and accessible style. Illustrated throughout with research examples and explanations in text boxes, questions for discussion at the end of each chapter and a concept glossary, this is the essential student companion to the discipline which will continue to be the A-Z resource for undergraduate students.

SAGE Publications; September 2009
Read online, or download in EPUB or secure PDF format
1412946492
9781412946490
9781446204870
9781446242834