Essay Writing

A Student's Guide

Essay Writing by MunLing Shields
'An excellent guide for students new to writing essays at university'

David Ellicott, Senior Lecturer in Youth Justice and Youth Studies, Nottingham Trent University

Essay Writing is a student guide with a mission: to enable students to write better essays and get the grades they deserve by demystifying the essay-writing process.

MunLing Shields places essay writing within the larger university experience for students. In a clear and easy to understand way the author guides the reader through the process of writing successful university essays by looking at essay writing in the context of academic communication, academic culture and different learning styles and approaches. This book helps students to study more independently and learn more meaningfully to write better essays. Essay Writing also offers invaluable insights into the way tutors see essays, explaining why essays are set, how to understand the rationale behind them, and demonstrating how best to approach answering the question.

This highly accessible book offers practical, in-depth guidance on each of the stages of the essay writing process - planning, drafting and editing - and relates them to the important sub-skills of information-gathering, reading academic texts, how to get the most out of lectures, referencing and citations, and fluency and appropriateness of style and language.

SAGE Study Skills are essential study guides for students of all levels. From how to write great essays and succeeding at university, to writing your undergraduate dissertation and doing postgraduate research, SAGE Study Skills help you get the best from your time at university.

SAGE Publications; February 2010
Title: Essay Writing
Author: MunLing Shields

Buy, download and read Essay Writing (eBook) by MunLing Shields today!