Focusing specifically on the management of karst environments, this volume draws together the world’s leading karst experts to provide a vital source for the study and management of this unique physical setting. Although karst landscapes cover 12% of the Earth’s terrain and provide 25% of the world’s drinking water, the resource management of karst environments has only previously received indirect attention. Through a comprehensive approach, Karst Management focuses on engineering issues associated with surface karst such as quarries, dams, and agriculture, subsurface topics such as the management of groundwater, show caves, cave biota, and geo-archaeology projects. Chapters that focus on karst as an integrated system look at IUCN World Heritage sites, national parks, policy and regulation, measuring systematic disturbance, information management, and public environmental education. The text incorporates the most up-to-date research from leading karst scientists.
This volume provides important perspectives for university students, educators, geoengineers, resource managers, and planners who are interested in or work with this unique physical landscape.
489 pages; ISBN 9789400712072
, or download in
Title: Karst Management
Author: Philip E. van Beynen
Seven Brief Lessons on Physics 2016 US$ 9.99 96 pages
Introduction to Modern Climate Change 2015 US$ 44.00 282 pages
- Academic > Earth Sciences > Environmental technology. Sanitary engineering > Water supply for domestic and industrial purposes > Water purification. Water treatment and conditioning. Saline water conversion > Physical geography
- Academic > Geography > Physical geography > Geomorphology. Landforms. Terrain > Other natural landforms: Floodplains, caves, deserts, dunes, etc.
- Academic > Physical Geography > Other natural landforms > Speleology
- Academic > Physical Geography > Geomorphology. Landforms. Terrain
- Science > Biology
- Science > Environmental Science
- Science > Geography
- Science > Geology