A True and Exact History of the Island of Barbados
Kupperman is one of the leading scholars of the early modern Atlantic world. . . . I cannot think of any scholar better prepared to write an Introduction that places Ligon, his text, and Barbados in an Atlantic historical context.
The Introduction is quite thorough, readable, and accurate; the notes [are] exemplary!"
-Susan Parrish, University of Michigan
"A foundational text for the history and literature of the early Caribbean and the early Americas. Kupperman's expert Introduction and annotations . . . make this important text come alive for scholarly and undergraduate audiences alike. In all aspects, this edition is a model of historical and textual scholarship."
-Ralph Robert Bauer, University of Maryland
"Scholars, students, and general readers will applaud and greatly appreciate the context Kupperman provides in her highly informative, insightful Introduction and notes. This volume offers readers the opportunity to explore Ligon's world and times, when sugar and black slavery were dramatically and aggressively transforming Caribbean society and contributing to English economic, maritime, and imperial strength."
-David Barry Gaspar, Duke University
208 pages; ISBN 9781603847711
, or download in or
Title: A True and Exact History of the Island of Barbados
Author: Richard Ligon; Karen Ordahl Kupperman
The Wright Brothers 2015 US$ 14.99 650 pages
Bill O'Reilly's Legends and Lies 2015 US$ 14.99 320 pages
- Academic > History > Latin America. Spanish America > West Indies > Lesser Antilles > Individual islands
- Academic > History > United States local history > Atlantic coast. Middle Atlantic States > District of Columbia. Washington
- Academic > History > United States local history > New England > Maine
- History > United States > Colonial Period (1600-1775)
- History > United States > 20th Century
- History > United States > Civil War Period (1850-1877)
- History > Military > Vietnam War
- History > Latin America
- History > Americas (North, Central, South, West Indies)
- History > Great Britain
- History > Europe
- History > Caribbean & West Indies
- History > World