Effective Police Supervision
Good police officers are often promoted into supervisory positions with little or no training for what makes a good manager. Effective Police Supervision is a core text used in college-level classes on supervisory practices in criminal justice. This popular book combines behavioral theory with case studies that allow the reader to identify and resolve personal and organizational problems. It provides readers with an understanding of the group behaviors and organizational dynamics, with a focus on effectiveness as well as proficiency, and on how a supervisor can help to create an effective organization. This book is also a vital tool in the preparation of police officers for promotional exams.
NEW THIS EDITION This revised and updated edition has a new chapter Homeland Security and Terrorism -- A Changing Role. New material has been added throughout the textbook on the following topics: characteristics of an effective coach, mentoring, work values, unions, dealing with change, supervisory styles, empowerment, SARA, identifying stakeholders, dealing with Limited English Proficient individuals, intercultural communication, and equity theory. The case studies and references have been throgoughly updated and expanded.
- Each chapter opens with a case study to illustrate the concept and includes key terms.
- Contains a new chapter on homeland security and terrorism and how they are changing the role of the police supervisor.
- Used nationwide for police promotional exams.
Title: Effective Police Supervision
Author: Harry W. More; Larry S. Miller
More Social Science
Globalization: A Very Short Introduction 2013 US$ 6.87 177 pages
When Breath Becomes Air 2016 US$ 12.99 240 pages
- Academic > Sociology > Social pathology. Social and public welfare. Criminology > Criminal justice administration > Police. Detectives. Constabulary > Administration and organization
- Academic > Public Affairs > Criminal justice administration > Police. Detectives. Constabulary > Administration and organization
- Political Science > Political Freedom & Security > Law Enforcement
- Law > Criminal Law
- Social Science > Social Issues
- Social Science > Criminology