Inception and Philosophy
Because It's Never Just a Dream
Did the top fall?
Was the whole movie just a dream?
Is it possible for us to know what is truly real?
When should we take our own leap of faith?
Is paradox possible?
In the complex world of Christopher Nolan's four-time Academy Award–winning metaphysical heist film, Inception, Dom Cobb has the ability to infiltrate people's dreams to steal and even alter their beliefs and thoughts. Lurking behind these acts of extraction and inception are profound moral and philosophical issues. From Plato to Aristotle, from Descartes to Hume, Inception and Philosophy draws from the greatest philosophical minds to shed new light on the movie's key questions and captivating themes. Can we tell whether we are dreaming or awake? Is inception possible? Can sense be made of paradox? And the one that everyone still talks about: did the top fall—or does it even matter? You'll also deepen your understanding of the movie's multilayered plot and dream-crashing characters, examine different interpretations of the film, and discover whether or not philosophy can help determine which interpretation is the "right" one. You'll even find a list of hidden secrets in the movie that you missed!
384 pages; ISBN 9781118168912
, or download in or
Title: Inception and Philosophy
Author: David Kyle Johnson; William Irwin
More Social Science
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down 1998 US$ 9.99 339 pages
The Corner 2013 US$ 12.99 576 pages
- Academic > Performing Arts > Motion Pictures > Motion pictures > Plays, scenarios, etc.
- Academic > Performing Arts > Theater > Comedy > General works
- Academic > Performing Arts > Theater > Comedy > Special topics
- Academic > Literature > Drama > Special types
- Academic > Literature > Authorship > Technique. Literary composition, etc.
- Academic > Literature > Periodicals
- Performing Arts > Film > History & Criticism
- Social Science > Popular Culture