Time Series Analysis in Meteorology and Climatology

An Introduction

Time Series Analysis in Meteorology and Climatology by Claude Duchon
Time Series Analysis in Meteorology and Climatology providesan accessible overview of this notoriously difficult subject.Clearly structured throughout, the authors develop sufficienttheoretical foundation to understand the basis for applying variousanalytical methods to a time series and show clearly how tointerpret the results. Taking a unique approach to the subject, theauthors use a combination of theory and application to real datasets to enhance student understanding throughout the book.

This book is written for those students that have a data set inthe form of a time series and are confronted with the problem ofhow to analyse this data. Each chapter covers the various methodsthat can be used to carry out this analysis with coverage of thenecessary theory and its application. In the theoretical sectiontopics covered include; the mathematical origin of spectrumwindows, leakage of variance and understanding spectrum windows.The applications section includes real data sets for students toanalyse. Scalar variables are used for ease of understanding forexample air temperatures, wind speed and precipitation.

Students are encouraged to write their own computer programmesand data sets are provided to enable them to recognize quicklywhether their programme is working correctly- one data set isprovided with artificial data and the other with real data wherethe students are required to physically interpret the results oftheir periodgram analysis.

Based on the acclaimed and long standing course at theUniversity of Oklahoma and part of the RMetS Advancing Weather andClimate Science Series, this book is distinct in its approachto the subject matter in that it is written specifically forreaders in meteorology and climatology and uses a mix of theory andapplication to real data sets.

Wiley; February 2012
Title: Time Series Analysis in Meteorology and Climatology
Author: Claude Duchon; Robert Hale

Buy, download and read Time Series Analysis in Meteorology and Climatology (eBook) by Claude Duchon; Robert Hale today!