Stonewall's Legacy

Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian, and Transgender Students in Higher Education: AEHE

Stonewall's Legacy by Susan B. Marine
Contemporary American colleges are increasingly queer places, wheresignificant steps toward inclusion of BGLT students have been made.Tracing the journey of BGLT students' emergence, which parallelsthe modern gay rights movement in America, this monograph providesan overview of data and theory derived from studying BGLT studentsand student movements in higher education. Offering context for theways that previously marginalized students in higher educationsurvive and thrive, this issue:
  • Tells the story of their growing visibility on campus
  • Summarizes collective knowledge to date about BGLT identitydevelopment
  • Takes stock of transgender students' distinctive position andexperiences in higher education
  • Assesses the role of the BGLT campus resource center insupporting students and advancing equity.

This issue develops a picture of the ways that BGLT communityactivism informs scholarship (and vice versa). In the telling ofthe movement's stories, these lessons suggest a practice ofcollaborative transformation for advancing the future of BGLTequality in higher education.

This is Volume 37 Issue 4 of the Jossey-Bass publicationASHE Higher Education Report. Each monograph is thedefinitive analysis of a tough higher education problem, based onthorough research and institutional experiences. Topics areidentified by a national survey. Noted practitioners and scholarsare then commissioned to write the reports, with experts providingcritical reviews of each manuscript before publication.

Wiley; September 2011
Title: Stonewall's Legacy
Author: Susan B. Marine

Buy, download and read Stonewall's Legacy (eBook) by Susan B. Marine today!