Developing Social Justice Allies

New Directions for Student Services, Number 110

Developing Social Justice Allies by Robert D. Reason
The fiftieth anniversary of the Brown v. Board of Educationdecision (1954) called us as student affairs professionals toreconsider and reaffirm our commitment to social justice. Thisissue is a call to action to student affairs professionals who areworking as social justice allies, those with a commitment to maketheir college campuses a place where all community members arerespected, validated, and fostered in developing their fullpotential.

This issue encourages the development of ally attitudes andaction in both students and student affairs colleagues. It firstpresents the conceptual foundation for social justice allydevelopment and then covers in depth the strategies for thedevelopment of social justice behaviors in specific dominant groupmembers. In each case, we have intentionally enlisted voices ofauthors who identify with the dominant and target groups on whichthe chapter focuses.

This is the 110th volume of the Jossey-Bass higher educationquarterly report series New Directions for Student Services.An indispensable resource for vice presidents of student affairs,deans of students, student counselors, and other student servicesprofessionals, New Directions for Student Services offersguidelines and programs for aiding students in their totaldevelopment: emotional, social, physical, and intellectual.

Wiley; September 2011
Title: Developing Social Justice Allies
Author: Robert D. Reason; Ellen M. Broido; Tracy Davis; Nancy J. Evans

Buy, download and read Developing Social Justice Allies (eBook) by Robert D. Reason; Ellen M. Broido; Tracy Davis; Nancy J. Evans today!