America on Film
Representing Race, Class, Gender, and Sexuality at the Movies
The book is organized within a broad historical framework, with specific theoretical concepts - including film genre, auteurism, cultural studies, Orientalism, the "male gaze," feminism, and queer theory - integrated throughout. Each individual chapter features a concise overview of the topic at hand, a discussion of representative films, figures, and movements, and an in-depth analysis of a single film, including The Lion King, The Jazz Singer, Smoke Signals, The Grapes of Wrath, and The Celluloid Closet.
This new edition is fully revised and updated. It includes a new chapter on the representation of disability in American film, and a new collection of updated case studies, including discussions of 8 Mile, Erin Brockovich, Crash, and Brokeback Mountain, among others.
472 pages; ISBN 9781444357592
, or download in
Title: America on Film
Author: Harry M. Benshoff; Sean Griffin
More Social Science
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down 1998 US$ 9.99 339 pages
The Corner 2013 US$ 12.99 576 pages
- Academic > Performing Arts > Theater > Comedy > General works
- Academic > Performing Arts > Theater > Comedy > Special topics
- Academic > Literature > Drama > Special types
- Academic > Literature > Authorship > Technique. Literary composition, etc.
- Academic > Performing Arts > Motion Pictures > Motion pictures
- Academic > Literature > Periodicals
- Media > Film
- Social Science > Anthropology > Cultural
- Performing Arts > Film > History & Criticism