A Practical Guide to Working in Theatre
Live theatre is an exciting, challenging profession - but how is
professional theatre actually made? What are the roles and what does
each person do? Which pathways lead into the profession? What skills
are necessary to each role and how does the job differ according to the
size of theatre or company?
Written by the Acting Head of the Young People's Programme at the
Royal Shakespeare Co. and former Director of Education at the Bristol
Old Vic, this is a book for new entrants in the theatre industry
needing a behind-the-scenes glimpse into how theatre is made. It covers
each role including director, designer, sound and lighting, front of
house, playwright and many more.
Each chapter looks in detail at what each role entails, the main
people who it involves working alongside and the skills required.
Interviews with a number of key practitioners for each role provide
authoritative and clear advice and insight for the reader. The book
features interviews with all of the following and many more besides:
Nick Hytner (National Theatre), Simon Reade (Bristol Old Vic), Mike
Shepperd (founder and performer, Kneehigh), Emma Rice (Artistic
Director, Kneehigh), Rachel Kavanaugh (Birmingham Rep), Tim Crouch
(Writer/Director/Performer), Anne Tipton (Director), Stephen Jeffries
(Playwright), David Edgar (Playwright) and Jack Bradley (Literary Manager).
Title: A Practical Guide to Working in Theatre
Author: Gill Foreman
- Academic > Literature > Drama > Special types
- Academic > Literature > Authorship > Technique. Literary composition, etc.
- Academic > Performing Arts > Theater
- Academic > Performing Arts > Theater as a profession
- Academic > Literature > Periodicals
- Academic > Literature > Societies
- Performing Arts > Theater
This edition is not for sale in your country. Here are some titles that might be what you're after...
- A Practical Guide to Greener TheatreUS$ 40.95
- A Practical Guide to Working with TRIPSUS$ 84.99
- A Practical Guide to Working with Reluctant Clients in Health and Social CareUS$ 26.95
- A Practical Guide to Training and DevelopmentUS$ 55.00
- Children in Theatre: From the audition to working in professional theatreUS$ 17.99