Doomed to Repeat
The Lessons of History We've Failed to Learn
An engrossing and fact-filled compendium of timeless lessons we keep forgetting—over and over and over . . .
It is said that those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. And so we have. Time and again humankind has overcome great turmoil only to ignore hard-earned wisdom at the very worst moment. Borrowing more from Groundhog Day than D-day, Bill Fawcett illuminates some of the predicaments, both infamous and obscure, that have vexed us for centuries—and just may explain many of today's global conflicts. Through fourteen chapters, Doomed to Repeat is chock-full of trivia, historical oddities, and fascinating insights into our most popular mistakes.
- What really stops terrorists
- How inflation and recession helped set the stage for the Nazis to take power
- What really ended the Great Depression and whether it could work today
- What history predicts for the final results of the Arab Spring
- Swine flu, bird flu, and the chances of another worldwide plague
320 pages; ISBN 9780062069078
Title: Doomed to Repeat
Author: Bill Fawcett
Access to History for the IB Diploma: Peacemaking, peacekeeping - international relations 1918-36 2012 US$ 17.58 249 pages
Killing Patton 2014 US$ 12.99 304 pages
Unbroken 2010 US$ 11.99
History for the IB Diploma: The Great Depression and the Americas 192939 2012 US$ 16.00 242 pages