Developing Mind, Second Edition

How Relationships and the Brain Interact to Shape Who We Are

Developing Mind, Second Edition by Daniel J. Siegel
Not available

"Siegel describes his book as 'a journey into the developing mind,' and no one is better equipped to invite psychotherapists and other students of human impulses to share this remarkable adventure. In clear and inspired prose, he reviews facts and theories about the human brain that can be difficult to grasp. He explains how the brain differentiates and enables the creative and passionate mind of a child to share meaningful intentions, experiences, imaginative beliefs, relationships, community, culture, and language. He puts this understanding in the service of a humane and respectful psychotherapy that can give integrity to young lives that have become anxious, chaotic, and rigid."--Colwyn Trevarthen, PhD, FRSE, Professor Emeritus of Child Psychology and Psychobiology, University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom

"A tour de force of synthesis and integration. Siegel has woven a rich tapestry that provides a compelling account of how our interpersonal worlds and neural systems form two important pillars of the mind. The second edition brings the latest neuroscientific evidence to the fore; it is a 'must read' for any student or professional interested in mental health, child development, and the brain."--Richard J. Davidson, PhD, William James and Vilas Professor of Psychology and Psychiatry; Founder and Chair, Center for Investigating Healthy Minds, University of Wisconsin-Madison

"When I first read The Developing Mind, I thought it was an amazing and unique book that provided enormous insight into children and their development. I had no idea why a second edition would be needed. But now that I have read this second edition, I realize that the book has reached perfection. Its conceptual integration of mind, brain, and relationships is magnificent. The second edition will provide every teacher, therapist, and parent with a rich understanding of how our interactions with kids shape their brains, their minds, and their entire future. Everyone will want to read this book again and again."--John M. Gottman, PhD, author of The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work

"The seamless integration of scientific knowledge with a profound understanding of subjective experience and human relationships is a rare gift that this book bestows with effortless grace. Siegel continues to excel in his ability to describe the latest findings of neuroscience in accessible language that weaves a masterful tapestry of the synergy linking brain, mind, and experience."--Alicia F. Lieberman, PhD, Irving B. Harris Endowed Chair in Infant Mental Health, University of California, San Francisco; Director, Child Trauma Research Program, San Francisco General Hospital

"The Developing Mind, Second Edition, is a compelling, thoughtful, and immensely readable account of the fascinating ways the brain, mind, and relationships co-evolve and interact throughout development. Rigorously updated, this volume captures the enormous and diverse progress within the field of interpersonal neurobiology over the course of the last decade. Siegel is a wonderful storyteller and teacher with a real gift for bringing the complex to life in such a way that it seems almost simple."--Arietta Slade, PhD, Professor, Clinical and Developmental Psychology, The City College and City University of New York

"When The Developing Mind was first published, Siegel's proposal that mind, brain, and relationships represented 'three aspects of one reality' essential to human well-being still seemed closer to inspired speculation than teachable scientific knowledge. Just over a decade later, the neurobiology of interpersonal experience has grown into one of the hottest areas of psychological research. Over two thousand new references surveyed for the second edition testify to just how far neuroscientists, developmental psychologists, and clinicians have brought the field as they begin to more fully chart the interplay of mind, body, and relationships. This splendid second edition--at once accessibly written and meticulously documented--provides a comprehensive guide to this emerging science."--Sarah Blaffer Hrdy, PhD, Professor Emerita of Anthropology, University of California, Davis

"With the original publication of The Developing Mind, the field of interpersonal neurobiology was born. Siegel's genius for synthesizing and humanizing neuroscience, attachment, and developmental theory made the book a bestseller and attracted thousands to this new field. The second edition benefits from over a decade's worth of additional findings, reflections, ideas, and insights. I encourage you to take Siegel up on his offer to share this fascinating journey, whether for the first time or for a return trip. You won’t be disappointed."--Louis Cozolino, PhD, Department of Psychology, Pepperdine University

"Siegel presents very complex neurological material in a style and manner that my students are able to follow and integrate into practice. They consistently report they are challenged by the material and that it validates the work that they do. In my opinion, Siegel's work is moving the profession of counseling in the direction that it has needed to go for a very long time."--Ryan Melton, PhD, LPC, ACS, Regional Research Institute for Human Services, Portland State University; Clinical Training Director, Early Assessment and Support Alliance

Guilford Publications; Read online
Title: Developing Mind, Second Edition
Author: Daniel J. Siegel

Buy, download and read Developing Mind, Second Edition (eBook) by Daniel J. Siegel today!