The Theory and Understanding of Computer Games
Presenting a holistic and thoroughly practical investigation ofthe true nature of computer games that arms readers with a smallyet powerful set of theories for developing unique approaches tounderstanding games. Game Invaders fully integrates genre theory,new media aesthetics, perceptual opportunities, and semiotics intoa practical DIY toolkit for games analysis—offering detailedguidance for how to conduct in-depth critiques of game content andgameplay.
Featuring an informal and witty writing style, the book devotesa number of chapters to specific games from all eras, clearlydemonstrating the practical application of the theories to modern,large-scale computer games. Readers will find:
• Suggestions on how to apply the DIY package to majorissues central to understanding computer games and their design• Coverage of the semiotics of video games, laying thefoundation for such topics as the role of agency and virtualstorytelling • Tasks and solutions for readers wishing topractice techniques introduced in the book • A companionwebsite featuring access to an app that enables the reader toconduct their own activity profiling of games
An important resource for those wishing to dig deeper into thegames they design, Game Invaders gives game designers the skillsthey need to stand out from the crowd. It is also a valuable guidefor anyone wishing to learn more about computer games, virtualreality, and new media.
240 pages; ISBN 9781118347577
, or download in or
Title: Game Invaders
Author: Clive Fencott; Jo Clay; Mike Lockyer; Paul Massey
QuickBooks 2015: The Best Guide for Small Business 2015 US$ 30.00 465 pages
Hadoop: The Definitive Guide 2012 US$ 39.99 688 pages
- Academic > Sports and Recreation > Games and amusements > Indoor games and amusements > Board games. Move games
- Academic > Sports and Recreation > Games and amusements > Indoor games and amusements > Computer games. Video games. Fantasy games
- Computers > Computer Graphics
- Computers > Programming
- Computers > Entertainment & Games