The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader...
The Travel Writer's Handbook
How to Write—and Sell—Your Own Travel Experiences
Veteran travel writer Jacqueline Harmon Butler shows readers, one step at a time, how to research, write, and sell travel articles--but most importantly, she details what makes a travel article a winner.
In this new edition, Butler updates her bestselling handbook for the 21st century with helpful tips on conducting Internet research, utilizing new advancements in digital photography and finding helpful applications on mobile phones. She also helps aspiring writers navigate the changing world of publishing by exploring blogging, new travel websites, and social media, all while discussing how best to expand your platform.
She includes a brand new introduction to reflect the current state of the travel industry and the change in editors' needs. Butler covers all the nuts and bolts aspects of travel writing from pre-trip research, specific marketing strategies, and even includes 12 formats for travel articles with sure-fire appeal to editors and readers. She gives insightful and often humorous advice on pre- and post-trip topics like:
• How to target your market before you begin
• How to save time by doing background research before you leave
• How to write queries and get assignments in advance
• How to find new angles for overworked subjects
• What to take along--from video equipment and laptops to travel documents
• How to set up and conduct successful interviews
• How to take advantage of freebies and junkets without “selling out”
• How to sell what you write--and then sell it again
271 pages; ISBN 9781572847002