How to Do Critical Discourse Analysis

A Multimodal Introduction

How to Do Critical Discourse Analysis by David Machin

"How great to have this practical introduction to doing critical discourse analysis, especially one that provides examples of multimodal discourse analysis. Extremely useful for students who need tools for the study of text, talk and images."
- Teun van Dijk, Pompeu Fabra University

"The authors have truly achieved the impossible: to make extremely complex phenomena accessible for students and scholars alike. Thus, this textbook will provide a most helpful guide when looking for adequate ways to grasp and analyze the intricate interdependence of written, oral and visual forms of semiosis."
- Ruth Wodak, Lancaster University

How do media texts manipulate and persuade us? How do language and images play out the ideas, values and identities?

This book shows readers exactly how language, power and ideology are negotiated in media texts, from magazine and advertising, to YouTube and music videos. Presenting a systematic toolkit of theories, concepts and techniques for doing language and image analysis, students learn how to dig deep into discourses and the media landscape.

With case studies and examples from a range of traditional and new media content, the book equips students to understand the relationship between language, discourse and social practices.

SAGE Publications; March 2012
Title: How to Do Critical Discourse Analysis
Author: David Machin; Andrea Mayr

Buy, download and read How to Do Critical Discourse Analysis (eBook) by David Machin; Andrea Mayr today!