Contexts, Relationships, and Adaptation
Traditionally, delinquent girls were considered an anomaly, a rare phenomenon attracting little scholarly notice. Today, more than one in four youth offenders is female, and researchers and practitioners alike are quickly turning their attention and resources to address this challenging situation. Delinquent Girls: Contexts, Relationships, and Adaptation synthesizes what is known about girls involved in delinquent behavior and their experiences at different points in the juvenile justice system.
This breakthrough volume adds to the understanding of this population by offering empirical analysis not only of how these behaviors develop but also about what is being done to intervene. Employing multiple theoretical models, qualitative and quantitative data sources, law enforcement records, and insights across disciplines, leading scholars review causes and correlates; the roles of family and peers; psychological and legal issues; policy changes resulting in more arrests of young women; and evidence-based prevention and intervention strategies.
Each chapter covers its subject in depth, providing theory, findings, and future directions. Important topics addressed include:
- Narrowing the gender gap – trends in girls’ delinquency.
- Girls at the intersection of juvenile justice, criminal justice, and child welfare.
- Trauma exposure, mental health issues, and girls’ delinquency.
- Beyond the stereotypes: girls in gangs.
- Intervention programs for at-risk and court-involved girls.
- Implications for practice and policy.
With its broad scope and solution-oriented focus, Delinquent Girls: Contexts, Relationships, and Adaptation is a must-have volume for researchers, professionals, graduate students, and social policy experts in clinical child and school psychology, social work, juvenile justice, criminology, developmental psychology, and sociology.
211 pages; ISBN 9781461404156
, or download in
Title: Delinquent Girls
Author: Shari Miller; Leslie D. Leve; Patricia Kerig
More Social Science
- Academic > Sociology > Social pathology. Social and public welfare. Criminology > Emergency management > Relief in case of disasters > Special types of disasters
- Academic > Sociology > Social pathology. Social and public welfare. Criminology > Criminology > Criminal anthropology
- Academic > Sociology > Social pathology. Social and public welfare. Criminology > Social service. Social work. Charity organization and practice
- Academic > Psychology > Criminal Psychology
- Psychology & Psychiatry > Developmental > Child
- Social Science > Sociology
- Social Science > Social Work
- Social Science > Criminology