The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, Sony Reader ...
A Brief Guide to Star Trek
For over 40 years Star Trek has made a phenomenal cultural impact. Now more popular than ever - J.J. Abrams' reinvented Star Trek movie was one of the box office hits of 2009, grossing $385 million worldwide - the 'franchise' continues to have cultural, social and political resonance around the world.
Star Trek has changed not just the way we look at space but also our own world. It gave the culture a lexicon of catchphrases, from "Beam me up, Scotty" to Dr McCoy's many complaints beginning "I'm a doctor, not a [...]!" Much of the 'future' technology depicted on Star Trek has come to feature in everyday life, from the communicator-like mobile phone to computer touch screens now taken for granted. Many of the world's most prominent scientists were inspired to pursue their careers (as were many writers and artists) due to an early exposure to Star Trek. In A Brief Guide to Star Trek, expert Brian J Robb charts the rise and rise of the show and explores its impact our culture.
300 pages; ISBN 9781849018227
, or download in
More from this author
More Performing Arts
Angels in America, Part One: Millennium Approaches 1993 US$ 12.95 136 pages
Music Theory For Dummies 2011 US$ 24.99 384 pages
- Academic > Performing Arts > Motion Pictures > Broadcasting > Television broadcasts
- Academic > Performing Arts > Theater > Comedy > General works
- Academic > Performing Arts > Theater > Comedy > Special topics
- Academic > Literature > Drama > Special types
- Academic > Literature > Authorship > Technique. Literary composition, etc.
- Academic > Literature > Periodicals
- Performing Arts > Film
- Performing Arts > Television