Why Good People Can't Get Jobs

The Skills Gap and What Companies Can Do About It

Why Good People Can't Get Jobs by Peter Cappelli

Peter Cappelli confronts the myth of the skills gap and provides an actionable path forward to put people back to work.

Even in a time of perilously high unemployment, companies contend that they cannot find the employees they need. Pointing to a skills gap, employers argue applicants are simply not qualified; schools aren't preparing students for jobs; the government isn't letting in enough high-skill immigrants; and even when the match is right, prospective employees won’t accept jobs at the wages offered.

In this powerful and fast-reading book, Peter Cappelli, Wharton management professor and director of Wharton’s Center for Human Resources, debunks the arguments and exposes the real reasons good people can’t get hired. Drawing on jobs data, anecdotes from all sides of the employer-employee divide, and interviews with jobs professionals, he explores the paradoxical forces bearing down on the American workplace and lays out solutions that can help us break through what has become a crippling employer-employee stand-off.

Among the questions he confronts: Is there really a skills gap? To what extent is the hiring process being held hostage by automated software that can crunch thousands of applications an hour? What kind of training could best bridge the gap between employer expectations and applicant realities, and who should foot the bill for it? Are schools really at fault?

Named one of HR Magazine’s Top 20 Most Influential Thinkers of 2011, Cappelli not only changes the way we think about hiring but points the way forward to rev America’s job engine again.
Wharton Digital Press; May 2012
Title: Why Good People Can't Get Jobs
Author: Peter Cappelli

Why Good People Can't Get Jobs: Chasing After the 'Purple Squirrel' - Knowledge@Wharton
Wed, 20 Jun 2012 10:54:16 -0700
Why Good People Can't Get Jobs: Chasing After the 'Purple Squirrel'Knowledge@WhartonWharton management professor ...
Résumés that grab digital eyes speak plainly - Hamilton Spectator
Sat, 20 Aug 2016 00:37:49 -0700
Hamilton SpectatorRésumés that grab digital eyes speak plainlyHamilton Spectator"At its most basic, it means doing what ...
Skill shortage or ineffective hiring? - ScienceCareers.org
Wed, 12 Nov 2014 08:59:27 -0800
Skill shortage or ineffective hiring?ScienceCareers.orgAs we've previously reported, Peter Cappelli, a professor of ...
1613630131
9781613630136
9781613630143