Star Wars and History
Star Wars took place long ago in a galaxy far, far away,but its epic stories are based on our own history. From AncientEgypt and the Roman Empire to the French Revolution and the VietnamWar, Star Wars and History explores the major historicalturning points, heroes, and villains in human history and theirimpact on the creation of the Star Wars saga. Star Warsand History shows how the atomic and hydrogen bombs led to theDeath Star; how Princess Leia's leadership in the Rebel Allianceresembled the daring work of intrepid women in the FrenchResistance during World War II and the Mexican Revolution;historical parallels between the Jedi Code and Bushido as well asthose linking the Jedi culture with that of the Templar Knights andother warrior monks; and all of the history that underlies theStar Wars galaxy. Read how our own civilization's civilwars, slavery, international corporation states, and teenage queenswere transformed into the epic Star Wars history anddiscover how Tatooine reflects the lawless frontiers of the pastand Coruscant our own history of glittering and greedycapitals.
- The first book devoted to analyzing the actual historicalevents in our past that influenced the creation of the spacefantasy, Star Wars
- Features 11 essays by a wise "council" of history scholars,written in close collaboration with George Lucas and Lucasfilm
- Gives new insights into central Star Wars characters andhistorical figures who helped inspire them (including LukeSkywalker, Princess Leia, Han Solo, Darth Vader, Obi-Wan Kenobi,Queen Amidala, Yoda, Jabba the Hutt, Lando Calrissian, EmperorPalpatine, and others)
- Includes both stunning photos from the Lucasfilm Image Archivesand historical photos that demonstrate the parallels between bothworlds
Filled with fascinating historical comparisons and backgroundthat will take your experience of the Star Wars saga to a newlevel, Star Wars and History is an essential companion forevery Star Wars fan.
Title: Star Wars and History
Author: Lucasfilm; Nancy Reagin; Janice Liedl
- Academic > Performing Arts > Theater > Comedy > General works
- Academic > Performing Arts > Theater > Comedy > Special topics
- Academic > Literature > Drama > Special types
- Academic > Literature > Authorship > Technique. Literary composition, etc.
- Academic > Performing Arts > Motion Pictures > Motion pictures
- Academic > Literature > Periodicals
- Performing Arts > Film > History & Criticism
- History > World