Practical Tunnel Construction
The only modern guide to all aspects of practical tunnelconstruction
Practical Tunnel Construction fills a void in theliterature for a practical guide to tunnel construction. By takingthe reader through a brief introduction and history to acomprehensive discussion of how the geological factors affecttunneling, the author covers the stages and technology that arecommon today without using complex equations. Written for theindividual who does not have an extensive background in tunnelingbut who has to make tunneling decisions, the various tunnelingmethods are discussed to help in the determination of theappropriate method. The methods discussed are: hand mining,drill/blast, Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM), New Austrian TunnellingMethod (NATM), Norwegian Method of Tunnelling (NMT), Roadheader,Earth Pressure Balance Machine (EPBM), and Slurry Pressure BalanceMachine (SPBM). This book focuses on driven tunnels.
This versatile handbook:
- Offers clear and accessible coverage of the state of the art intunnel construction
- Introduces the essentials of design and construction of manytypes of tunnels, including TBM, EPB, Roadheader, NATM, drill andblast, and soft ground tunneling
- Provides nontechnical guidance on selecting the mostappropriate tunneling methods for various situations
- Includes a brief history of tunneling and an introduction togeotechnical considerations
- Discusses tunnel access shaft construction, mucking methods,tunnel haulage, grout, water handling, and much more
Practical Tunnel Construction is an important resourcefor students, construction managers, tunnel designers, municipalengineers, or engineers who are employed by government agencies orcorporations that are exploring the feasibility of planning anddesigning or building a tunnel.
432 pages; ISBN 9781118330005
, or download in or
Title: Practical Tunnel Construction
Author: Gary B. Hemphill
Commercializing Successful Biomedical Technologies 2008 US$ 44.00 361 pages