Power and Politeness in Action
Disagreements in Oral Communication
This study investigates the interface of power and politeness in the realization of disagreements in naturalistic language data. Power and politeness are important phenomena in face-to-face interaction. Disagreement is an arena in which these two key concepts are likely to be observed together. Both disagreement and the exercise of power entail a conflict. At the same time, conflict will often be softened by the display of politeness. The material for analysis comes from three different contexts: (1) a sociable argument in an informal, supportive, and interactive family setting; (2) a business meeting among colleagues at a research institution; and (3) examples from public discourse collected during the US Election in 2000.
384 pages; ISBN 9783110926552
Title: Power and Politeness in Action
Author: Miriam A. Locher
More Language Arts
- Academic > Languages and Linguistics > Philology. Linguistics > Communication. Mass media > Oral communication. Speech
- Academic > Journalism and Media > Communication. Mass media > Oral communication. Speech
- Academic > Literature > Periodicals
- Academic > Literature > Oratory. Elocution, etc.
- Language Arts & Disciplines > Communication
- Language Arts & Disciplines > Linguistics