Handbook of Hazards and Disaster Risk Reduction and Management
The Handbook provides a comprehensive statement and reference point for hazard and disaster research, policy making, and practice in an international and multi-disciplinary context. It offers critical reviews and appraisals of current state of the art and future development of conceptual, theoretical and practical approaches as well as empirical knowledge and available tools.
Organized into five inter-related sections, this Handbook contains sixty-five contributions from leading scholars. Section one situates hazards and disasters in their broad political, cultural, economic, and environmental context. Section two contains treatments of potentially damaging natural events/phenomena organized by major earth system. Section three critically reviews progress in responding to disasters including warning, relief and recovery. Section four addresses mitigation of potential loss and prevention of disasters under two sub-headings: governance, advocacy and self-help, and communication and participation. Section five ends with a concluding chapter by the editors.
The engaging international contributions reflect upon the politics and policy of how we think about and practice applied hazard research and disaster risk reduction. This Handbook provides a wealth of interdisciplinary information and will appeal to students and practitioners interested in Geography, Environment Studies and Development Studies.
912 pages; ISBN 9781136918681
, or download in or
Title: Handbook of Hazards and Disaster Risk Reduction and Management
Author: Ben Wisner; J.C. Gaillard; Ilan Kelman
More Social Science
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down 1998 US$ 9.99 339 pages
The Corner 2013 US$ 12.99 576 pages
- Academic > Geography > Physical geography > Geomorphology. Landforms. Terrain > Mountains. Orography
- Academic > Physical Geography > Natural disasters > Natural disasters
- Academic > Physical Geography > Mountains. Orography > Mountains
- Academic > Geography > Physical geography > Natural disasters
- Academic > Physical Geography > Geomorphology. Landforms. Terrain
- Science > Earth Sciences
- Science > Geography
- Science > Environmental Science
- Political Science > City Planning & Urban Development
- Social Science > Social Issues
- Social Science > Human Geography