Drama at the Heart of the Secondary School
Projects to Promote Authentic Learning
Drama at the Heart of the Secondary School provides a rationale for the curricular centrality of drama together with rich and detailed examples of cross-phase thematic projects which are drama-led, but which promote learning across a wide range of curriculum areas, from the humanities and other arts, to English and literacy, science and PSHE.
Each unit explores relevant and stimulating themes and topics that will engage the students, promote empathy, pose questions, and produce creative responses. Starting from relatively simple beginnings, the drama is structured in layers of increasing sophistication and complexity. Each layer adds another dimension to the potential learning opportunities available across a wide range of curriculum areas and suitable for learners of varying experience and ability. A wide range of curriculum areas of enquiry are referenced, and each unit offers unique ways of student learning designed to encourage excellent drama skills as well as embracing the ‘learning to learn’, Citizenship and PSHE agendas that are fundamental to good teaching and learning.
- Lists of dramatic techniques and keywords
- Cross curricular connections and ideas highlighted in the text
- Opportunities to address RSA ‘Opening Minds’ competencies and PLT skills
- Examples of curriculum models suitable for thematic work
- An outline of the principles of assessment for each unit
This accessible and practical textbook is essential for trainee and practising teachers interested in using drama to facilitate thematic, cross-curricular work in the classroom.
208 pages; ISBN 9781136496493
, or download in or
Title: Drama at the Heart of the Secondary School
Author: John Rainer; Martin Lewis
From Discipline to Culturally Responsive Engagement 2013 US$ 34.95 233 pages
The Edcamp Model 2014 US$ 11.95 73 pages
The Adult Student's Guide to Survival & Success 2008 US$ 12.00 176 pages
Teacher Evaluation to Enhance Professional Practice 2000 US$ 24.95 167 pages
- Academic > Literature > Drama > Special types
- Academic > Literature > Authorship > Technique. Literary composition, etc.
- Academic > Performing Arts > Study and teaching > General works
- Academic > Performing Arts > Theater
- Academic > Literature > Periodicals
- Academic > Literature > Societies
- Performing Arts > Acting & Auditioning
- Education > Secondary
- Education > Teaching Methods & Materials