Handbook of Research on New Literacies
Situated at the intersection of two of the most important areas in educational research today — literacy and technology — this handbook draws on the potential of each while carving out important new territory. It provides leadership for this newly emerging field, directing scholars to the major issues, theoretical perspectives, and interdisciplinary research pertaining to new literacies. Reviews of research are organized into six sections:
- Knowledge and Inquiry
- Popular Culture, Community, and Citizenship: Everyday Literacies
- Instructional Practices and Assessment
- Multiple Perspectives on New Literacies Research
- Brings together a diverse international team of editors and chapter authors
- Provides an extensive collection of research reviews in a critical area of educational research
- Makes visible the multiple perspectives and theoretical frames that currently drive work in new literacies
- Establishes important space for the emerging field of new literacies research
- Includes a unique Commentary section: The final section of the Handbook reprints five central research studies. Each is reviewed by two prominent researchers from their individual, and different, theoretical position. This provides the field with a sense of how diverse lenses can be brought to bear on research as well as the benefits that accrue from doing so. It also provides models of critical review for new scholars and demonstrates how one might bring multiple perspectives to the study of an area as complex as new literacies research.
The Handbook of Research on New Literacies is intended for the literacy research community, broadly conceived, including scholars and students from the traditional reading and writing research communities in education and educational psychology as well as those from information science, cognitive science, psychology, sociolinguistics, computer mediated communication, and other related areas that find literacy to be an important area of investigation.
1096 pages; ISBN 9781136650857
, or download in or
Title: Handbook of Research on New Literacies
Author: Julie Coiro; Michele Knobel; Colin Lankshear; Donald J. Leu