Introducing Multilingualism

A Social Approach

Introducing Multilingualism by Jean-Jacques Weber

Introducing Multilingualism is a brand new, comprehensive and user-friendly introduction to the dynamic field of multilingualism.

Adopting a compelling social and critical approach, Jean-Jacques Weber and Kristine Horner guide readers through the established theories about multilingualism. The book covers language as a social construct, language contact and variation, language and identity and the differences between individual and societal multilingualism. The authors also provide an alternative approach to studying multilingualism, introducing innovative concepts such as flexible multilingualism and literacy bridge in order to encourage students to critically question dominant discourses on topics such as integration, heritage and language testing.

This highly practical textbook incorporates a wide range of engaging activities and encourages students to think critically about important social and educational issues. Throughout, the theoretical content is explored through a wide range of case studies from around the world.

Clearly argued and widely applicable, this book is essential reading for undergraduate students and postgraduate students new to studying multilingualism.

Taylor and Francis; March 2013
Title: Introducing Multilingualism
Author: Jean-Jacques Weber; Kristine Horner

Buy, download and read Introducing Multilingualism (eBook) by Jean-Jacques Weber; Kristine Horner today!