A Global Journey - eBook & mp3 Value Pack
Authors Terry E. Miller and Andrew Shahriari take students around the world to experience the diversity of musical expression. World Music: A Global Journey, now in its third edition, is known for its breadth in surveying the world’s major cultures in a systematic study of world music within a strong pedagogical framework.
As one prepares for any travel, each chapter starts with background preparation, reviewing the historical, cultural, and musical overview of the region. Visits to multiple ‘sites’ within a region provide in-depth studies of varied musical traditions. Music analysis begins with an experimental "first impression" of the music, followed by an "aural analysis" of the sound and prominent musical elements. Finally, students are invited to consider the cultural connections that give the music its meaning and life.
Features of the Third Edition
- Over 3 hours of diverse musical examples. with a third audio CD of new musical examples
- Listening Guides analyze the various pieces of music with some presented in an interactive format online
- Biographical highlights of performers and ethnomusicologists updated and new ones added
- Numerous pedagogical aids, including "On Your Own Time" and "Explore More" sidebars, and "Questions to Consider"
- Popular music incorporated with the traditional
Dynamic companion web site hosts new Interactive Listening Guides, plus many resources for student and instructor. Built to serve online courses.
The CD set is available separately (ISBN 978-0-415-89402-9) or with its Value Pack and book (ISBN 978 0415- 80823-1).
For eBook users, MP3 files for the accompanying audio files are available only with the Value Pack of eBook & MP3 files (ISBN 978-0-203-15298-0). Please find instructions on how to obtain the audio files in the contents section of the eBook.
616 pages; ISBN 9781136520525
, or download in or
Title: World Music
Author: Terry E. Miller; Andrew Shahriari
To Selena, with Love 2012 US$ 11.99 304 pages
Up and Down with the Rolling Stones 2011 US$ 5.99 385 pages
- Academic > Performing Arts > Literature on music > History and criticism > By region or country
- Academic > Performing Arts > Literature on music > History and criticism > Folk, national, and ethnic music
- Academic > Performing Arts > Literature on music > Periodicals. Serials
- Academic > Performing Arts > Literature on music > Festivals. Congresses
- Music > History & Criticism