Monsters Under the Bed

Critically investigating early years writing

Monsters Under the Bed

Monsters Under the Bed is an essential text focussing on critical and contemporary issues surrounding writing for ‘early years’ children. Containing a critically creative and a creatively critical investigation of the cult and culture of the child and childhood in fiction and non-fictional writing, it also contains a wealth of ideas and critical advice.

This text dynamically explores the issue of picture books, literacy and writing for early years children with a wider view on child-centred culture, communication and media. Internationally recognised as an expert in the field, Andrew Melrose encourages academics, researchers and students to examine the fundamental questions in writing for and addressing ‘early years’ children, through an exploration of text and images. Accessibly written and lively in its approach, this book includes:

• an accessible and critically important challenge to the latest international academic research and debates in the field of children’s literature and creative writing
  • an extensive investigation of early years writing and reading
  • a pathway to developing critical awareness of children’s literature, allowing students to develop their own critical ability and writing skills
  • constant ‘checkpoints’ throughout, in which the reader is encouraged to reflect on critically creative and creatively critical development.

Providing a coherent and pedagogical approach, this compelling text will be an indispensable resource for critics, writers and students interested in children's writing, as well as those on Creative Writing, Children's Literature and English BA and MA programmes. It will also be of great interest to those in teacher training, PGCE students and for those studying at Doctoral and Post-Doctoral level.

Taylor and Francis; June 2013
Read online, or download in EPUB or secure PDF format
Subject categories
0203136772
9780203136775
9780415617499
9781136488054
9781136488092