I Do and I Don't

A History of Marriage in the Movies

I Do and I Don't by Jeanine Basinger

From one of our leading film historians and interpreters: a brilliantly researched, irresistibly witty, delightfully illustrated examination of “the marriage movie”; what it is (or isn’t) and what it has to tell us about the movies—and ourselves.

As long as there have been feature movies there have been marriage movies, and yet Hollywood has always been cautious about how to label them—perhaps because, unlike any other genre of film, the marriage movie resonates directly with the experience of almost every adult coming to see it. Here is “happily ever after”—except when things aren't happy, and when “ever after” is abruptly terminated by divorce, tragedy . . . or even murder. With her large-hearted understanding of how movies—and audiences—work, Jeanine Basinger traces the many ways Hollywood has tussled with this tricky subject, explicating the relationships of countless marriages from Blondie and Dagwood to the heartrending couple in the Iranian A Separation, from Tracy and Hepburn to Laurel and Hardy (a marriage if ever there was one) to Coach and his wife in Friday Night Lights.
A treasure trove of insight and sympathy, illustrated with scores of wonderfully telling movie stills, posters, and ads.

Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group; January 2013
Download in secure EPUB
Title: I Do and I Don't
Author: Jeanine Basinger

Meet the Wesleyan Film Professor Who Gave Michael Bay, Joss Whedon Their Start - Hollywood Reporter
Thu, 10 Dec 2015 09:00:36 -0800
Hollywood ReporterMeet the Wesleyan Film Professor Who Gave Michael Bay, Joss Whedon Their StartHollywood ReporterTHR brings ...
On the Page: I Do and I Don't: A History of Marriage in the Movies - New York Observer
Thu, 14 Feb 2013 15:48:45 -0800
On the Page: I Do and I Don't: A History of Marriage in the MoviesNew York ObserverOver the past century, Americans have ...
Joss Whedon: His Work, His Life, He's Here! - WNPR News
Tue, 02 Aug 2016 13:09:28 -0700
WNPR NewsJoss Whedon: His Work, His Life, He's Here!WNPR NewsOriginally, we planned on doing a show about Joss Whedon -- ...
0307962229
9780307269164
9780307962225