The Leading eBooks Store Online
for Kindle Fire, Apple, Android, Nook, Kobo, PC, Mac, BlackBerry...
New to eBooks.com?Learn more
- Bestsellers - This Week
- Foreign Language Study
- Bestsellers - Last 6 months
- Graphic Books
- Health & Fitness
- Political Science
- Biography & Autobiography
- Psychology & Psychiatry
- Body Mind & Spirit
- House & Home
- Business & Economics
- Children's & Young Adult Fiction
- Juvenile Nonfiction
- Language Arts & Disciplines
- Crafts & Hobbies
- Science Fiction
- Current Events
- Literary Collections
- Literary Criticism
- Literary Fiction
- Social Science
- The Environment
- Sports & Recreation
- Family & Relationships
- Study Aids
- Folklore & Mythology
- Food and Wine
- Performing Arts
- True Crime
- Foreign Language Books
Most popular at the top
- John Benjamins Publishing Company 2007; US$ 120.00
This volume ? the first-ever collection of research on healthcare interpreting ? centers on three interrelated themes: cross-cultural communication in healthcare settings, the interactional role of persons serving as interpreters and the discourse patterns of interpreter-mediated interaction. The individual chapters, by seven innovative researchers... more...
- John Benjamins Publishing Company 2010; US$ 135.00
First published as a Special Issue of Interpreting (10:1, 2008) and complemented with two articles published in Interpreting (12:1, 2010), this volume provides a panoramic view of the complex and uniquely constrained practice of court interpreting. In an array of empirical papers, the nine authors explore the potential of court interpreters to... more...
- John Benjamins Publishing Company 2011; US$ 143.00
This volume contributes to the emerging research on the social formation of translators and interpreters as specific occupational groups. Despite the rising academic interest in sociological perspectives in Translation Studies, relatively little research has so far been devoted to translators? social background, status struggles and sense of self.... more...
- John Benjamins Publishing Company 2007; US$ 165.00
Like previous collections based on congresses of the European Society of Translation Studies (EST), this volume presents the latest insights and findings in an ever-changing, ever-challenging domain. The twenty-six papers, carefully chosen from about 140 presented at the 4 th EST Congress, offer a bird's eye view of the most pressing concerns and... more...
- John Benjamins Publishing Company 2006; US$ 158.00
Translation Studies has recently been searching for connections with Cultural Studies and Sociology. This volume brings together a range of ways in which the disciplines can be related, particularly with respect to research methodologies. The key aspects covered are the agents behind translation, the social histories revealed by translations, the perceived... more...
- John Benjamins Publishing Company 2008; US$ 165.00
To go ?beyond? the work of a leading intellectual is rarely an unambiguous tribute. However, when Gideon Toury founded Descriptive Translation Studies as a research-based discipline, he laid down precisely that intellectual challenge: not just to describe translation, but to explain it through reference to wider relations. That call offers at once... more...
- Random House 2012; US$ 14.38
Etgar Keret is an ingenious and original master of the short story. Radical, witty and always unusual, declared a 'genius' by the New York Times , Keret brings all of his prodigious talent to bear in this bestselling collection. A man barges into a writer's house and, holding a gun to his head, demands that he tell him a story, something... more...
- Farrar, Straus and Giroux 2008; US$ 13.99
Etgar Keret was born in Tel Aviv in 1967. His stories have been featured on This American Life and Selected Shorts . As screenwriters/ directors, he and his wife, Shira Geffen, won the 2007 Palme d'Or for Best Debut Feature ( Jellyfish ) at the Cannes Film Festival. more...
- Farrar, Straus and Giroux 2012; US$ 14.99
1. How were you affected by the way the title story and the closing story, "What Animal Are You?," describe writers versus audiences? Does the story in "The Story, Victorious" fulfill the high expectations that were set for it? 2. If you were to pull the arm of the gumball machine in "Lieland," what would you encounter? Who were the most interesting... more...