The needs of critically ill children are unique and highly specialized. Paediatric Intensive Care Nursing is an essential manual of care and an invaluable resource to all those involved in the care of critically ill children and young people. Covering all the key aspects of pediatric intensive care, it is a fully comprehensive textbook which provides an evidence-based and up-to-date guide for all nurses who work with critically ill children.
Paediatric Intensive Care Nursing is divided into four user-friendly sections:
- The first section looks at the general background of paediatric intensive care
- Section two employs a systems approach, with each chapter focusing on a specific disease and following the same framework. This includes treating children with cardiac conditions, acute neurological dysfunction, musculoskeletal injuries and gastrointestinal and endocrine conditions
- Section three looks at the essential care of managing pain relief, transportation needs and treating wounds
- The final section explores the holistic aspects of nursing - nutrition and fluid management, infection control issues, safeguarding children and spirituality and bereavement
Written by a team of experts in the field, Paediatric Intensive Care Nursing is indispensable reading for nurses and health care professionals working with critically ill children.
Wiley; September 2012
- ISBN 9781118301869
- Read online, or download in secure PDF or secure EPUB format
- Title: Paediatric Intensive Care Nursing
- Author: Michaela Dixon; Doreen Crawford
About The Author
Michaela Dixon is Senior Lecturer in Child Health at UWE and Clinical Development Nurse, Paediatric Intensive Care at Bristol Royal Hospital for Children.
Doreen Crawford is Senior Lecturer Nursing and Midwifery at De Montfort University. She is the Chair of the Children and Young Peoples Acute Care Forum, and has sat on the RCN, National Forum for Neonatal and Paediatric Intensive Care since 2005, which has led to work representing them with NPSA, BAPM, RCPCH and NICE.