Computational optimization methods have matured over the last few years due to extensive research by applied mathematicians and engineers. These methods have been applied to many practical applications. Several general-purpose optimization programs and programs for specific engineering applications have become available to solve particular optimization problems.
Written by leading researchers in the field of optimization, this highly readable book covers state-of-the-art computational algorithms as well as applications of optimization to structural and mechanical systems. Formulations of the problems and numerical solutions are presented, and topics requiring further research are also suggested.
Chapter 1: Introduction to Optimization (303 KB)
- Introduction to Optimization (J S Arora)
- Optimization of Large Scale Systems (J Herskovits et al.)
- Multiobjective Optimization: Concepts and Methods (A Messac & A A Mullur)
- Shape Optimization (T H Lee)
- Topology Optimization (M P Bendsoe & O Sigmund)
- Optimal Control of Structures (S Nagarajaiah & S Narasimhan)
- Design Optimization Under Uncertainty (S Mahadevan)
- Multidisciplinary Design Optimization (G-J Park)
- Meshfree Method and Application to Shape Optimization (J S Chen & N H Kim)
- Kriging Metamodel Based Optimization (T H Lee & J J Jung)
- Robust Design Based on Optimization (B M Kwak)
- Parallel Computations for Design Optimization (S D Rajan & A Damle)
- Semidefinite Programming for Structural Optimization (M Ohsaki & Y Kanno)
- and other papers
Practitioners, researchers and graduate students in optimization of structural and mechanical systems.