This revised edition of the classic text of the period provides both the student and the specialist with an informative account of post-Roman English society.
After a general survey of the main developments from the fourth century to the eleventh, the book offers analysis of:
* social organization
* the changing character of kingship, of royal government and the influence of the church
* the history of settlement
* the making of the landscape
* the growth of towns and trade
* the consequences of the Norman Conquest.
The author also considers the various influences; British, Frankish, Viking and Christian that helped shape English society and contributed to the making of a united kingdom.
Taylor and Francis; October 1998
- ISBN 9781134682478
- Read online, or download in secure PDF or secure EPUB format
- Title: From Roman Britain to Norman England
- Author: P.H. Sawyer