Reflection and reflexivity invite critical, sensitive examination of practice, exploration of principles, concepts and ideas, and development of thoughtful self-awareness.
The Fourth Edition of this bestselling book explains how expressive and explorative writing, combined with in-depth group work or mentoring, can widen perspectives and give clarity of values, roles, and responsibilities. Step-by-step methods are grounded in carefully explained theories and values, and key terms such as reflection, reflexivity, critical, narrative, metaphor, mindfulness and complexity are clarified.
New to this edition:
- a clear route through the essentials of reflective practice
- greater clarity and representation of theoretical models
- a strong focus on ethical values
- in-depth examples and case studies from a range of courses
- clear summarization of each chapter’s key contents
- updated ‘Read to Learn’ sections and extended glossary
- discussion of writing in different cultures
- new online content including videos.
Reflective practice is probably the most important tool in the repertoire of any professional. It is a key way of dealing with all the problems for which there is no straightforward response. Gillie Bolton ‘s practical and illuminating book is the key resource for those who want to be more reflexive and build reflective writing into their own activities. She takes important but illusive ideas and shows clearly what they mean for making sense of one’s own practice.