Soils and Environmental Quality

Soils and Environmental Quality by Gary M. Pierzynski
Aperpetual bestseller, this third edition remains the obvious choice for those instructors who strive to make their teaching applicable to contemporary issues.

The three authors, all teaching professors distinguished in soil science, have updated this student favorite to include a greater number of even more relevant topics. Responding to requests, they have also placed an increased emphasis on management issues. As with previous editions, the third edition offers students in soil or environmental science an overview of soil science, hydrology, atmospheric chemistry, and pollutant classification.

The text moves from the theoretical to the practical with an abundance of contemporary examples, such as an exploration of allowable pesticide concentrations in drinking water and an inquiry into soil contamination from the trace elements in organic by-products. Also considered are the use of soil carbon sequestration as a remedy for global climate change, and the effects of acid precipitation on forestation.

NEW TO THE THIRD EDITION:

·       New chapters on nutrient management planning, and the environmental testing of soil, plants, water, and air

·       Additional and revised case studies that continue to relate academic content to real-life situations, while inspiring students with real –life challenges to solve

·       Eight-page color  inset

·       Direct encouragement and links to fully access the Internet as a resource for the most up-to-date findings

Always Relevant, Always Interesting

The text also covers environmentally-related current events, fostering discussion of the political, economic, and regulatory aspects of environmental issues, the human side of environmental problems, the use and misuse of the scientific method, and potential bias in the presentation of facts. Students in soil science, environmental science, chemistry, biology, geology, and other disciplines will gain valuable insight from this multifaceted text.

CRC Press; May 2005
Title: Soils and Environmental Quality
Author: Gary M. Pierzynski; George F. Vance; J. Thomas Sims

• Contents
No entry found
1135502137
9780203496367
9780849316166
9781135502126
9781135502133