Globalisation and its Discontents

by McBride, Stephen, Professor,

Subject categories
  • 0333981618
  • 9780333775523
  • 9780333981610
Most analyses of globalization convey the message that it is an unstoppable force sweeping away national sovereignty and inevitably creating a brave new world of borderless and boundless consumerism. In such a context politics and democracy become irrelevant. In contrast, many of the contributions to this book conclude that there are real political choices to be made. Even though the economic context has changed, politics still matter.

These studies are grounded in particular historical and national contexts, with each chapter linking broad theoretical and political debates to current and tangible examples. The contradictory aspects of globalization are highlighted as the volatility of the global economy creates a crisis of legitimacy for the advocates of neo-liberal policies, which are premised on stripping away the protections that nation-states used to provide their citizens. This situation creates important opportunities, as well as dangers, for trade union and democratic social movements.
  • Palgrave Macmillan; June 2000
  • ISBN 9780333981610
  • Read online, or download in secure PDF format
  • Title: Globalisation and its Discontents
  • Author: McBride, Stephen, Professor (ed.); Wiseman, John, Professor (ed.)
  • Imprint: Palgrave Macmillan
Subject categories
  • 0333981618
  • 9780333775523
  • 9780333981610

In The Press

The authors are to be congratulated. They have made a very useful intervention in these difficult and important debates.' - Peter W. Preston, ASEAN Economic Bulletin

About The Author

STEPHEN MCBRIDE is Professor and Chair of the Department of Political Science, Simon Fraser University. His previous books include Not Working: State, Unemployment and Neo-Conservatism in Canada, winner of the Smiley Prize for the best book on the study of government and politics in Canada; Dismantling a Nation: The Transition to Corporate Rule, co-authored with John Shields; and The Training Trap: Ideology, Training and the Labour Market, co-edited with Thomas Dunk and Randle Nelsen.

JOHN WISEMAN is Associate Professor at the School of Social Science and Planning, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia. He is the author of Global Nation: Australia and the Politics of Globalization; Alternatives to Globalization: an Asia-Pacific Perspective; and New Economic Directions for Australia, co-authored with J. Camilleri, B. Frankel, R. Watts and P. Christoff. He was joint winner of the International Lelio Basso Prize for Political and Economic Alternatives awarded by the Lelio Basso Foundation, Rome, 1998.

Subject categories
  • 0333981618
  • 9780333775523
  • 9780333981610