This textbook describes and explains the complex reality of contemporary internal and international migrations in East Asia. Taking an interdisciplinary approach; Tony Fielding combines theoretical debate and detailed empirical analysis to provide students with an understanding of the causes and consequences of the many types of contemporary migration flows in the region.
Key features of Asian Migrations:
- Comprehensive coverage of all forms of migration including labour migration, student migration, marriage migration, displacement and human trafficking
- Text boxes containing key concepts and theories
- More than 30 maps and diagrams
- Equal attention devoted to broad structures (e.g. political economy) and individual agency (e.g. migration behaviours)
- Emphasis on the conceptual and empirical connections between internal and international migrations
- Exploration of the policy implications of the trends and processes discussed
Written by an experienced scholar and teacher of migration studies, this is an essential text for courses on East Asian migrations and mobility and important reading for courses on international migration and Asian societies more generally.
Taylor and Francis; July 2015
- ISBN 9781317952084
- Read online, or download in secure PDF or secure EPUB format
- Title: Asian Migrations
- Author: Tony Fielding
In The Press
"Fielding’s ability to highlight the distinctiveness of each of the macro regions gives readers opportunities to make broad comparisons, and to understand better how complex and interdependent the countries are. More importantly, the book emphasizes the role that migration has played in the growth of East Asian economies, and how migration will likely continue to be of importance in the future."
East Asia Integration Studies
About The Author
Tony Fielding is a Research Professor in Human Geography, Sussex Centre for Migration Research, University of Sussex, UK.